Friday, January 29, 2010

Beware - nostalgia ahead

I just remembered that we had our homestudy completed and signed a year ago yesterday. We were laughing because we read in the homestudy something along the lines of "this family can provide three bedrooms, each with a window and a closet." We laughed when we thought of getting a baby, "Here you go kid, here's your room. It has a window and a closet, now shut up."
Hannah got a birthday card from BabiesRUs the other day with some coupons in it. So I thought I would run over today and get her some presents. I can honestly say before we got Hannah, I had stepped foot in that store exactly one time. So being in BRU today reminded me of the craziness of a year ago. Spending hours in there on a Tuesday afternoon trying to figure out all the things we would need for the new baby we were bringing home the next day. Turns out you don't need 9 months to prepare for a baby. I'm of the opinion that people are indecisive simply because there are too many choices. When I had to walk in and walk out in one day with a carseat, stroller, crib, bottles, formula, and sheets, it actually makes decision-making simple. What is a color that is nice, a price that is not too high, and is available right now is how I made my decisions. And really, everything I picked out are things I still like and can be used for a second child.
So, what did I get Hannah for the big 0-1 tomorrow? Well we bought her a wagon a few months ago that was on sale. And today we bought her some sippy cups (her old ones didn't have handles and I'm tired of having to hold her drink), a toy phone and a baby monitor. Yes, a baby monitor. We've never had one. We are in the "Ferberizing" camp. When she cried, it was fine and I certainly didn't want to have to hear it wherever I went in the house. Don't get me wrong, we had our fair share of long crying marathons those first few months, but for the most part, she took about 5 minutes to soothe herself. However now when she cries, I want to know because it happens so rarely. And usually there is a reason. And the funny thing is, she usually just wants a hug or a glass of water.
We were in the basement the other night and when we came up she was crying hysterically. We don't know for how long and I felt really bad. I don't remember what she wanted but that's when we decided we wanted a monitor.
Hannah had her one year check up today. She weighed in at 18lbs and and 29.25in. She is in the 10th percent for her weight, 50th for her height and her head is still in the 95th!
Now that she is a big girl she is enjoying a new carseat (still rear-facing though).
Hannah's favorite foods include blueberries, pizza, Kix cereal, oatmeal, peas, ribs, and grapefruit. Her not favorite foods include any meat other than ribs and noodles.
So this post is long enough. I'll leave you with this...pictures of this past week....and the anticipation of a post I will title "Everything I need know, I learned from infertilty and parenting."

This is Hannah trying to escape into the 10 degree temperatures. But my diaper pail is out there, can't I be too??
Hannah just learned to go up and down this step. What a big girl!

We visited Ohio last weekend. This is Hannah with my grandma.

This is my grandpa. Hannah thought his gait belt was a fun chew toy. Grandpa broke his femur, but is doing great now!!

Hannah and captain watching something, probably some war/history/guns/planes show.

1 comment:

Christina said...

u nailed it on the head that we just have 9 months to be indecisive!
happy first bday hannah!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...