Three years ago today was Super Bowl Sunday. That's the day we became parents. You can read the whole story under the page labeled "Hannah's adoption story" so I won't bore you here with the details.
I was going to post some never before seen pictures from the day we met her, but I don't have them! I think I have a source, but if it comes down to it, I may have to set up our very old computer in the basement because I think they may be on there.
Anyway, it's kind of fun to remember the origins of our story.
We don't have a story of how we found out we were pregnant, nor of how we told people. We don't have a water breaking story, or induction story or C-section story. I don't have much to say about how long I pushed.
But I do have a story about labor. The labor it took to bring Hannah home. The long long long long long wait to be a mom (and dad).
The most shocking phone call ever.
The travel to the hospital, not really sure what was going on, thinking this might just be my daughter and I had no idea how to be a mom, how to hold a baby, what she was going to wear and where she was going to sleep.
The thought has struck me several times over the years, the part of the story that cracks me up? That I don’t blame myself for (because I really wish you could have gotten in our heads those few days. I don’t think anyone can understand it, I really don’t even myself looking back)?
The fact that I had a newborn baby girl, 4lbs 14 ozs, in the NICU and we went home! Then I went to work the next day and didn’t see her until 8pm Monday night! Then I didn’t see her again until Tuesday night!
Raise your hand if you would have left your baby’s side for more than a few hours if you had a newborn in the NICU. No one?
I know! I can’t believe we did that!
If I had a baby in the hospital now, I wouldn’t leave her for a second. Even a newborn I didn’t give birth to.
Say, for example, our next baby needs to be in the NICU for a while. I am buying a room to stay with him/her!
Like I did with Olivia, I will do my darndest to beg and plead to stay the night in the hospital (assuming there's nothing going on with birthmom, these can be touchy situations).
I left my tiny baby there.
But she’s fine:)
In fact, here she is....
If we believed in luck, we certainly would say we lucked out. But we don't, so instead we believe that somehow God saw us (yes, us), fit, and trusted us, to raise this awesome kid. Whoa.
In Olivia news, we put the twin bed in her room, next to her crib and she is sleeping in that for the first time.
That's it.
2 comments:
I left both my babies in the NICU for more than a couple of hours! Looking back on that now, I should have been there WAAAAYYYY Longer. It was especially REALLY REALLY HARD to leave 1 there and bring the other one home. I hated the fact that his brother was all there by himself in that little small (hard) bed. Like you said, they are fine, but it was very very tough!
Such a cool story. I love how you write about your "labor", what a great testimony of trusting God. the pictures of Hannah are so cute!
Post a Comment